Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Job

Sometime around fifth grade I decided that I didn't like school. I'm not sure if this was because it wasn't cool to like school, or if I was noticing how socially awkward I was. I didn't really begin to like school again until... well, ever. There were certain aspects of it that I enjoyed, but on a whole I wasn't a fan. This might seem somewhat peculiar since I was considered a "smart kid". I made straight A's, kept on the teachers' good sides, and generally "did well". Let me tell you a secret - I simply knew how to work the system. I became good at reading a teacher's face, seeing the correct answer there. I was exceptional at looking as if I was paying attention, nodding at all the right moments, when really my mind was anywhere else. Somehow I still retained enough knowledge to pass the tests though. (I'm still not sure how that happened.)

I realized recently that I kind of miss school. I felt successful there. I knew what the expectations were and how to exceed them. I was GOOD at taking tests.

I started a new job today. When I interviewed for this job, I was required to take a proof-reading test. The interviewer told me that I did very well on it. I felt successful again. When I was offered the job, I promptly accepted it. There is a lot of information to be absorbed, and training is supposed to last for the next month. The notable things about the training are: there are four of us; it is set up like a classroom (desks in a row, "teacher" at the front lecturing); we have a quiz tomorrow. I found it very hard to resist the sleep that pulled at my eyelids. There is something about a classroom setting that shuts my brain down in a hurry. All in all, though, I think I will really enjoy this job, once I start working.

No comments:

Post a Comment