Friday, January 14, 2011

A Picture

I'm not an artist. I can't even draw proportional stick figures. I have a picture in my head, though, and I want to show it to you.

In this picture, it's Crucifixion Day. On Earth, Christ hangs on the cross, suffering the greatest agony known to man. All is dark. The mob around Jesus has ugly, taunting faces, while His mother looks on in horror. His blood runs down the cross from where the nail has pierced His feet. His head is bowed as He resists the desire to call to Heaven for help.

Up in Heaven, Gabriel has sounded the call to gather ten thousand of his best soldiers. The army of angels waits for the Son of God to make the slightest of signs to bring them to His rescue. They are poised to rush to Earth and end this travesty. God places His hand on Gabriel's shoulder, restraining him from acting contrary to God's will, and covers His face with His other hand to hide His grief. The sacrifice of His son is almost too great a cost, but He holds on, knowing it is the only way.

Sometimes I try to imagine what was sacrificed so that I might walk with God. I can't wrap my mind around it. The little bit that I can see causes an overwhelming awe to spring up in me, as well as a sense of responsibility. Christ went to the cross once for me. I don't want to ever cause Him suffering again.

2 comments:

  1. It breaks my heart to think of it :( A status I saw yesterday, basically said, "if there wasn't a heaven or a hell would you still have Jesus for the love,joy, and fulfillment He has brought to your life?" I thought that was so incredible to think about. Sometimes we can be so motivated by fear of going to hell, but what about the passion we should have for just plain ol' WANTING to be with God because He is so magnificent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no concept of this, but your words paint a very emotionally charged picture that give this almost-atheist goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete