Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Directions

While studying the scientific method in my 8th grade science class, we did an exercise that involved making a peanut butter sandwich. My teacher had us split into groups and write instructions for making the sandwich. Then he took one set of the instructions and began to make the sandwich. "1. Spread peanut butter on the bread." He tried jamming his knife through the lid of the jar, so he could spread peanut butter on the bread that was still in the bag. We all swiftly revised our instructions to be as meticulous as he wanted them to be.

While I was showering the other day, I happened to read the directions on the back of my body wash. "Directions for use in the shower or bath: Squeeze a small amount of product onto wet puff. Lather and rinse." It made me think of that lesson in science. While the average person would not even read the directions in order to know how to use it, there might be someone out there who needs them. That's why they put them on the bottle, right? Think of poor Amelia Bedelia. She would be so befuddled by them. I think the directions are useless. How is putting body wash on a puff, lathering and rinsing it going to EVER get anyone clean? They should at least add a 'yourself' after the lather. Just sayin'.

3 comments:

  1. I love the ones that are clearly written by someone who clearly doesn't speak English very well. Like the back of the shampoo bottle that said "Use repeatedly for severe damage" and the back of the Dial soap "Use like regular soap" HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used these kinds of exercises in my grad school program, and in my job as a trainer. It helps to illustrate the assumptions we make when telling others how to do something.

    I personally think you should use "befuddled" in every post from now on. ;-)

    ReplyDelete