Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Flu

Cameron has been sick for the past couple of days with flu type symptoms. It made me curious: just how selfish are you allowed to be when hubby is sick???

1. Are you still required to sleep with them? "Hubby, I don't think we had better sleep together tonight. I love you dearly, but if I get sick, who will take care of you? And besides, we really don't want to contaminate the bed with flu germs. Do you know how hard it is to sterilize a mattress? Because I love you, I think you had better sleep on the couch tonight."

2. What about kissing? What faster way is there to pass germs? "Let me blow you a kiss. You know how much I love you, right? I just don't want to get near you."

3. Sharing toothpaste. Another great way to pass germs. We don't do this anyway, so it doesn't change when he is sick.

This is not really the way the last couple of days went. As a newlywed, I wasn't willing to be away from him, even if it means that I get sick too. He is feeling better anyway, so if I get sick, he can take care of me!

3 comments:

  1. I think it depends almost entirely on how whiny said Hubby is. If Hubby isn't whiny, I'm less selfish about it. And when I say whiny, I don't mean, "I don't feel well, I think I'm going to stay home from work." I mean, "but honnneeeyy! I can't do anything because I'm siiicckk. Don't leeeeave me heeere by myself!!!"

    That doesn't fly. Thankfully, my Hubby is not a whiner. I often don't know he's sick until a week later, which makes me wonder how good a wife I am. Hm ...

    That said:
    1. sleeping together - always. Unless one is coughing and having a hard time sleeping and decides to go into the spare room where things are more comfortable.
    2. kissing - depends on how runny the nose is. :-) Kisses on the cheek are ok if the schnauz is outta control.
    3. toothpaste - always. Toothbrush? NEVER. Hubs is barely allowed to TOUCH my toothbrush to move it without my heart rate increasing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameron is definitely not a whiner. That would be me.

    Mostly I was kidding. I was just lying in bed last night wondering how far people take it to not get sick. And since I composed this partly as I was falling asleep, there is a good chance that it was funnier in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linnie, we just got your Christmas card (my mom is Jean Altmiller) and I am a fellow blogger, so wanted to check out your blog.

    Thoughts about the sickness: cherish and comfort each other all you can...because when the babies come, you'll be comforting them and your husband will have to take care of himself. :)

    ReplyDelete