Monday, December 13, 2010

OCD

Remember my post about peep-holes? Labeling is something that most of society practices. It helps keep order in our world. The label "OCD" has been used to describe anyone who is overly organized or feels a need to keep routine. I have always thought that I had a touch of OCD, and last night decided that it is getting worse as I grow up. (I'm already "up" though, so where do I grow now?) I decided to look up OCD this morning so I could write an incredibly witty post about how it should be called Obsessive Control Disorder instead of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. News flash people - OCD is quite a bit different than most of society thinks of it. It is about using rituals to control the anxiety brought on by obsessive thoughts. Check out this website. It has a plethora of information about it.

I have discovered that what I have thought of as OCD is worsening. And I guess I can still call it OCD if I am referring to my newly coined Obsessive Control Disorder. You see, I like to plan. I like to have order in my life. I like control. And now that I am married and there is another person living in this house, it is a lot harder to control things. The holidays have worsened my need for control. "This is what I am used to. I don't want it to change." Try squishing a new family into old traditions. It doesn't work. So instead of putting them into my box, I am left floating outside of the box. *insert panic moment here* It only makes me work harder to control the things that I can control. For instance, if the day has been particularly trying and Cameron and I are getting ready to go someplace, I want to drive. The car is something I can control. (Even though some people would say even that is debatable.)

So people, you want to mess with me? Change something that I think is set in stone. It really puts me in a tizzy. I just wonder if my ability to cope will grow as I do. I hope so!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, by the way, the fact that you always thought you were OCD, change that... you're wrong. And the fact that you "hate change", is also wrong because it is only certain change you hate (and don't try to argue that one... I will win :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm going through tough times, I have a favorite "mantra". I say it to myself as much as I need to: "This too shall pass." Sometimes if we don't work to keep things in perspective we feel like the way it is now is the way it will always be but IT WON'T. You're in a time of adjustment and that can be difficult, but YOU WILL ADJUST and move on to other difficulties. Time makes the difference. And besides time, you have God to help you... and people who love you. Don't let your mind make it bigger than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me you haven't labeled your peep-hole! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, Bob, you are wayyyyy over-analyzing this. And trying to mess with my head. You stink.

    Mitchi, I try to keep a positive outlook for the most part. I'm just learning lots of new things about myself!

    M, not yet. I might have to though, since I spend so much time with it!

    ReplyDelete