Friday, February 18, 2011

Dishes

Before my parents had a dishwasher, it would often taken an hour and a half to wash the dishes. I know this because I washed them almost every night for several years. When you have a small country living in one house, dishes pile up very quickly. I had a system for how I washed them - plates, bowls, cups, larger bowls, pans, and last but certainly not least, silverware. I could pile the dishes in the drainer and on a towel beside it in that order, and never have to dry anything. By the time I reached the silverware, the thought of washing each of those little pieces was overwhelming. I needed a break just to psych myself up for it. Usually my break ended up lasting the rest of the evening and the silverware would lanquish away in the bottom of the sink, neglected and conveniently forgotten.

I still hate to wash silverware. I usually do the dishes once a day (unless I don't cook or just don't create very many dishes). Wednesday, I convinced myself that it was ok to leave the silverware till later. The result was that I had all that much more to wash yesterday. We had run out of spoons so I couldn't neglect it any longer. Otherwise, why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?!

Proof that some things never change.

2 comments:

  1. Why, indeed?! I also dislike washing silverware. I am certainly thankful for having a dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does these sorts of things! Silverware is the worst...probably b/c it's the last thing I do, too.

    ReplyDelete