Thursday, November 11, 2010

Peanut Gallery

1. Last night, I told Cameron, "No comments from the peanut gallery!" and then promptly realized that I had no idea where that phrase comes from. I asked him, and his response was, "I just thought it was something the Okies made up." Okies say it, but I wasn't convinced that they had made it up. I googled it this morning, and this is what I found on Wikipedia. "A peanut gallery is an audience that heckles the performer. The term originated in the days of vaudeville as a nickname for the cheapest (and ostensibly rowdiest) seats in the theater; the least expensive snack served at the theater would often be peanuts, which the patrons would sometimes throw at the performers on stage to show their disapproval. The phrases "no comments from the peanut gallery" or "quiet in the peanut gallery" are extensions of the name." You learn something new every day!

 2. I know that sometimes I neglect my blog. I have a hard time thinking up what to write about sometimes and don't want to just write meaningless nonsense. Even though that is what it ends up being 75% of the time anyway. So, no comments from the peanut gallery! (Clever, huh? It took me a while to think this up.)

2 comments:

  1. And now I've learned something new too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... well now we know. Any updates on the house you can share with us Okies? :-)

    ReplyDelete