Friday, November 12, 2010

School Days

My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.

Remember that? I do (obviously!). I didn't remember that it was called a mnemonic, but you can find pretty much anything with Google.

That saying didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I was probably the only one in the class whose Mother had ever served nine pizzas at one time, and that was even on a special occasion when there were extra people at the house. Besides, now that Pluto isn't a planet, it really won't make sense. So, I decided to come up with my own.

My Very Excellent Man Just Slipped Up (Not!)

Ok, so probably no better than the old mnemonic. What can I say? I have a hard time getting my mind away from the initial one, since it was drummed into my brain at an early age. Does anyone have a better one?

3 comments:

  1. They do get stuck in your brain. I had a geology teacher in college who gave us one and I still remember the mnemonic but not all of what it was supposed to help me remember.

    "Carry out some dinner Miss Peter Pearl to Jimmy Clark the queen." (http://proctormuseum.us/Geological-ages/GEOLOGICALAGES.htm) He told us a story that put the sentence into a framework that gave it some sense, but I've forgotten the story also.

    He also told us that former students would come up to him and say, I still remember... then chant off that sentence again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, it's been OVER forty years since I had those geology classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about this for a week, trying to come up with a new mnemonic. It's not happening. And your very excellent mother had to serve 9 pizzas at a time! :-)

    ReplyDelete