Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fred Meyer Fun

First of all, I want to let you all know that the sun is shining. We haven't seen the sun in several days. I like it.

Last Thursday, I braided my hair, got around, and went to Fred Meyer to do some grocery shopping. As I was busily marking items off of my list, a middle-aged gentleman stopped me.

"I like your pigtail." (News flash - this is a braid, buddy! How young do you think I am, anyway??)
"Thanks!"

He proceeded to ask me if I was a Christian and we had a brief conversation about beliefs. That wasn't completely abnormal, since it's pretty obvious by the way I dress that I am conservative.

What was unusual was that the next day when I ran in Fred Meyer to use the facilities, I was stopped by another middle aged gentleman. He didn't speak English very well, but I could understand him. Our conversation went something like this.

Gentleman - "Congratulations. You look so nice!"
Me - "Thanks!" (I had my hair down and had dressed with care for my date with Cameron.)
Gentleman - "I wish my wife was here to see you."

The conversation went on with him telling me that he has two sons and no daughters and so when he and his wife see nice looking girls they are glad. Or something like that. I wasn't sure it he was telling me about his sons because they could translate or if he thought I might be a potential girlfriend, because the next thing I know, he's inviting me over for dinner. Somehow I managed to work my husband into the conversation, and probably dashed his hopes.

We concluded our conversation and I went to the bathroom. The gentleman was still sitting by the front doors when I went to leave FM, and we ended up chatting again. He called his wife (she was in another part of the store) and she came to see my hair. Eventually, Cameron came in looking for me. By the time we parted ways with the couple, they knew that my brother was marrying a Mexican girl (which made them very happy) and we had given them our contact information so they could have us over for dinner. They said they would fix Mexican food for me, which I simply cannot refuse. :-D

I'm planning to go to Fred Meyer again today. We need some more groceries. I wonder who I will meet!

2 comments:

  1. What neat people! It's so cool you're friendly enough to respond to these gentlemen without being weirded out. And you do have great hair, pigtails or braid. ;-)

    I can't wait to read about who you meet today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I hope he's not a serial killer looking for his next victim! ;-) In all seriousness, that's really neat that you're meeting friendly people.

    ReplyDelete