Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fingerprinting

For my job, I had to have a background check. I got really worried for all of five seconds. "What if they find out about my ties to the Oklahoma Chancellors?" Then, I decided I didn't care. Oh, wait. That is a good thing anyway.

I had an appointment on Tuesday to have my fingerprints taken. Did you know that once you have that done, you can never be identified again?! (Just kidding. I still have them. They just took an image of them. I know you were fooled by that though.) In elementary school, I was part of a program called SEARCH. We did fun activities that were supposed to help stretch our minds. One of them was a crime scene investigation. We took our fingerprints by coloring on our fingers with pencil and then pulling the lead off with scotch tape. It was awesome. Since I knew what to expect, I was really prepared for my appointment. I even had my own pencil with me. The technology used now is quite a bit more advanced, though. The only thing I had to put on my hands was hand sanitizer, and no scotch tape was used. Talk about disappointment! She had this nifty little machine that scanned my fingers. She held my hand up there (I was thinking, wow what kind of a job with this be? You have your own tiny office and get to hold the hand of every person that comes in. I don't think I would be good at this...) and pressed each finger on the little screen. I'm pretty sure now she will know all of my secrets.

Did I mention that when I arrived for my appointment, I royally embarrassed myself? I ended up parking around the side of the building and decided to use the handy entrance that was right in front of me. Big mistake. I walk in the door, and there is a huge conference room on my left full of people. They had the door open. I don't know why. I stood there in bewilderment for a moment. There was a glass wall in front of me and I could see a hallway on the other side. That is where I probably wanted to be. The only other door was to a reception area on my right. I decided going in there was probably better than barging through the conference room, so I chose that one. There was no one in there. A sign on the desk started screaming at me. "You are in the wrong place. Non employees are supposed to use the FRONT door. Now, get out!" I turned around and exited and calmly walked to the front like I knew what I was supposed to be doing the whole time. I wonder if my red cheeks gave me away? Or maybe when I said to myself, out loud, "That was awkward?" I doubt any of those people in the conference room noticed, but I still was pretty embarrassed. Such is life.

The moral of the story: If you ever have to get fingerprinted in Idaho, use the front door, don't bother bringing a pencil, and prepare to have your hand held.

Happy almost Friday, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, ps, sometimes I use creative license when writing my blog. Please keep that in mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I had my fingerprints taken when I started my job, too. Still have them. Maybe fingerprints are like cat lives?!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative license... hmm... do they require fingerprints to give those out? Where can I get one of those? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow,you know that u dont always need creative license to come up with a truly good story...plus i can really see you telling me the story with or without help!;) just something I have picked up on when reading your blogs!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that when they take your fingerprints they get locked in the little machine and can't be shared with ANYONE?

    I worked for three different school districts in the same area of town and every one of them insisted on taking my fingerprints for their own! Shame on them! Every school teaches we must each share the things that make us special and unique!

    I wonder how they keep track of all the little boxes when they get them at the FBI at Headquarters.

    ReplyDelete