Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Outside My Windows

Cameron and I actually got up in time to eat breakfast together this morning. Huckleberry pancakes, eggs with sausage and potatoes, and milk. The eggs and sausage and potatoes were leftover from the breakfast I fixed for him to go hunting this weekend. It was very good, if I do say so myself. ;) If you had been here, I would have fixed enough for you too. Since you weren't, I want to share with you the things you are missing out on.

Besides the food that I enjoy cooking, there are other unique things about living where I do. Outside my windows, there are dogs that sound eerily human when they howl. There is a pale blue van that rattles away at the strangest hours. Various people walk or jog down the street. One man is really hungry when he gets home from work. He said so. There are leaves falling, proving that fall is definitely here. Chickadees chirp. The office building's alarm goes off quite regularly. It's a blessing. I can hear a little bit of highway traffic, with semi-trucks jake braking as they come down the mountain into Coeur d'Alene. There is a sprinkler system that makes a strange hissing noise as it comes on at 5:00 am.

All of these sounds blend together in a strange harmony that sounds like home. I like my little apartment in town. When our house is built out in the middle of nowhere, I'm sure I will miss these sounds. The peace of the country/woods will be nice too, though.

Now that you know what it is like to sit inside my house, what do you hear outside your windows?

4 comments:

  1. First, I wish I'd been there to share your breakfast. It sounds delish!

    On a calm work from home day, I hear the A/C compressor kick on and the fan start to blow. I hear the pool pump and corresponding "waterfall" sound. I hear the distant sounds of small planes and traffic driving by on the highway.

    In the late morning, I hear lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, and voices. Sometimes I try to understand what they're saying, sometime I just listen to the undulating tones.

    I hear birds singing and sometimes, if the bowl outside is empty, I hear Queenie - one of the neighborhood feral kitties - meow at me to go fill it up.

    I hear my inside cats either snoring or their little tags knocking against the side of the food or water bowls. Sometimes I hear insistent meowing to realize that Tanner is trying to get my attention to play.

    I hear the woosh of the air coming down from the ceiling fan and the hum of my computer fan.

    And now I just want to listen to all these sounds and stop typing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, sounds like things are going well for you. Acclimating pretty well, so it seems. And you pretty well know whats outside my window. You used to be in this room! :) Hope your hangin in okay, love ya. Tell Cameron I said "Hi".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume that the man that comes home really hungry from work would be Cameron. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your sounds, M. It's very cozy.

    Rusty, I am doing pretty well. :) Love you too!

    Rosalie, actually that was some guy jogging by with a friend of his. Or I'm assuming that it was a friend. Why would you go jogging with an enemy?

    ReplyDelete