Monday, October 4, 2010

Uncle Brook

I thought that my serious posts would all end up on Friday, but I felt like I should post this today.

Cameron has an uncle who is seriously ill. He contracted Lyme's Disease several years (I think 7) ago, but it wasn't diagnosed in time for the doctor's to be able to do much to help him. It has been attacking his body for all these years. His nervous system has been affected, his eyes are very sensitive to light, sometimes he can't speak because it hurts too badly, and his stomach rejects most foods. He has lost 60 pounds in 5 years. Because of the various infections and things that have attacked his body, he was down to only being able to eat meats and vegetables, certain kinds of nuts, and very few grains. Now, his body is rejecting some of those as well. By trade, he was a logger and loved the outdoors. His whole life has been reduced to sitting, mostly inside in the dark.

This dear man has clung to his faith in God despite being sick for so long. He is always upbeat, uncomplaining. He is trusting God to do what the doctor's cannot do.

Our church is having a special day of prayer for Uncle Brook today. In this situation that seems so hopeless, I'm making the same choice as Uncle Brook. I choose to hope in the God who created the world. I choose to believe that because of the love God has for us, He will heal Uncle Brook. Whether that healing comes here, or whether God takes him home and gives him a new body, Uncle Brook will be free of this illness. There is victory no matter what the outcome. Uncle Brook has never given up his belief. Like Job, he has had much stripped out of his life. Not once has he cursed God. "This is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith."

I want to be that firm in my faith that no matter what hard things come into my life.

If you think of Uncle Brook today, please agree in prayer with us.

I love this song. It says exactly what it means to be a Christian.

I Choose, sung by Ivan Parker

Master, may I be so honest?
Could I admit the way I feel?
I’m hurting, it seems that you’ve forsaken.
I wonder, is Your love for me still real?
Though my friends think that I am happy,
Unaffected by this trial,
They can’t see the pain I’m hiding,
Just under my smile.
Master, I can’t live this way anymore,
So today I make my choice.

Chorus
I choose to believe that You are faithful,
And my heart is in Your hands,
And this mystery that I face today,
Is part of a greater plan.
I choose not to be discouraged,
When the sun will not break through.
I have the choice of trusting you,
So Lord this is what I choose.


I know this road will not be easy.
I know I’ll have my weaker days.
And Satan will tell me I don’t mean it,
When I say, “I’ll trust God all the way.”
But that doesn’t really matter,
I refuse to hear him out.
With my faith I’ll find the power,
That will overcome all doubt.
Lord, I’ve never felt so strong,
As when I’m resting in your arms.


Chorus
I choose to believe t
hat you are faithful,
That my life is in your hands,
That this mystery that I face today,
Is part of a greater plan.
I choose not to be discouraged,
When the sun will not break through.
I have the choice of trusting you,
So, Lord this is what I choose.

2 comments: